The bad guys are automating robocall scams worldwide. Recently, there has been a rise in this type of fraud. They have a variety of attacks that you should watch out for. Here are a few examples:
- Bank account and credit card scams where the bad guy claims to be an official from your bank or card company
- Extortion scams where they request payment for a kidnapped friend or family member
- Callback Scams where you are tricked into calling back a very expensive international number
Remember the following to avoid robocall scams:
- If you receive a call from a company urging you to complete a request, hang up and call back the company directly to investigate.
- Scammers can spoof any number they’d like. Therefore, even if a call looks like its coming from a familiar source, it could be a scam.
Never provide personal information over the phone unless you’re the one who initiated the call.